Monday, August 8, 2011

Birth Story

Let the fun begin...
Nine months is a very long time to wait for something, and I hate waiting for things.  The first three months of my pregnancy were tough.  The toilet and I became good friends.  And not just my toilet, oh no.  I made good friends with many toilets around the Seattle area.  I would say that I made an appearance about 5-10 times a day, whether at work or home.  It wasn't fun.  I could only really tolerate Honeycomb cereal, which now I don't think I will ever be able to eat again.  But like many of the books said, the nausea would pass around the 12 week mark, and it did.  I was free.  I could eat again, and I was finally starting to put on weight, rather than losing it.

The second trimester was pretty fun and easy.  I was just starting to show, although many couldn't tell.  I just looked like I ate too much pizza, and no one dared ask if I was expecting. This was around the time that I started shopping for the nursery and shower invitations. Fun mommy stuff!!

The third trimester was....eventful.  I got so big that the consistent comment was, "damn, you sure your not having twins", or "you are huge"-both not what you want to hear.  But I was pretty big.  At seven months pregnant the ultrasound technician told me that Max was measuring about 7+ pounds.  Little scary for this 4'11 mama.

I was two days late, which was frustrating.  I had convinced myself that Max would be early since he was measuring so big. Nope.  So I went to the midwife, sure she was going to want to induce.  Nope.  They stripped my membrane (TMI?) and sent me on my way.  Sure enough, that worked because I went into labor the next morning.

I woke around 5 am, with a stronger than usual contraction.  I went back to sleep thinking it was nothing because I didn't want to get my hopes up. 30 mins later, another one.  I laid there, partially in fear, and partially in excitement.  10 minutes later, another one.  I immediately went over to Rob.  "I think I am having real contractions".  It was almost 6 am by this time.  We waiting an hour to see if there was some consistency, and there was.  They started coming every 6-10 minutes, then 4-6.  I called the midwife, and she said wait a little while longer.  I waiting one more hour until the pain was getting unbearable and headed to the birthing center.

At the center, all was pretty calm.  I was progressing well, contractions coming with speed and intensity. After about 1.5 hours later I was given my glorious epidural.  I was a 6 centimeters at this time.  To my surprise, my sister and best friend Merry arrived.  Their support was so appreciated, and they even took turns feeding me ice chips.  When I was fully dilated, I was instructed to push.  I pushed, and pushed.  This lasted for an hour.  At that time, I was given the sad news that I would have to have a c-section.  I was bummed.  Who knew more crap news was on its way.

I was wheeled and prepped for surgery fairly quickly.  It was a little tense in the room and I was a bit nervous.  My epidural was starting to wear off and I could feel my contractions again....not fun.  While I said goodbye to Rob, I was getting excited to meet my little man.  However, once in the O.R. the anesthesiologist informed me that my body was no longer accepting the drugs to numb me.  This was after about an hour of poking and prodding.  I was in a ton of pain at this point.  Perhaps a little vomit occurred :(  They informed me that I was going to have to go under general anesthesia.  This made me pretty sad, and scared.  The next thing I remember is waking up to people calling my name.  I opened my eyes to see Rob standing there with my baby.  Little Max.  Rob said, "good news, he has dark hair" (I really wanted him to have dark hair). SWEET! and then I passed out again.  I guess at this time I was wheeled to the recovery room where I spent another hour.  I was pretty out of it and anxious to get to my room.  Finally I was wheeled to where it all began.  My sister, best friend and husband were there waiting for me, with of course the sweetest little boy, Maxwell Callagy Defraia.

June 28, 2010 was the most crazy, wonderful, amazing, day of my life, and I can't wait to see what is yet to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment